Due to the unprecedented events of recent weeks and the fast spread of coronavirus, we have had no choice but to close our London Office until further notice. Our London Team will now work from home but due to limited communication tools, it is understandable that they will no longer be able to communicate via telephone, so please do not to call us for the moment. We will instead be responding to emails as quickly as possible, however we ask you to please bear with us whilst we do our very best to clear the backlog of enquiries.
All holidays for the remainder of this season are now cancelled due to the closure of our resorts and much of Europe, Canada and North America being in lockdown, with all non-essential travel stopped. We are pleased to confirm that all of our guests have returned home as too have our resort staff based in France. Our team in St Anton remain in resort in quarantine which has been enforced by local Authorities for all residents - please be assured, they are being well looked after, have everything they need and are in very good spirits.
All of us are extremely sad and disappointed that our 2019/20 season and holiday plans have ended in this abrupt way. We must remind ourselves however that these measures have been taken to protect not just all of us, but also the most vulnerable amongst us. This is a problem that will not only affect the fast majority of business worldwide, more worryingly all individuals who are struggling to cope with the inevitable difficulties it will bring.
As the emergency response comes to an end, which has understandably been the focus of our attention, we will be contacting all those who have holidays booked with us in the coming weeks. Please bear with us as we will be contacting those with bookings that were due to depart imminently as a priority. This is going to take time.
Please do not call our London Office number. If you booked through a travel agent, they will be your first point of contact. We would encourage you to contact your travel insurance provider in order to pursue a claim rather than contacting us - we will of course be happy to provide all paperwork you require in order to facilitate a claim. Please note that Powder White, as an accommodation provider, is not bound by Package Travel Regulations (PTRs). For the purpose of insurance claims:
We can only offer our sincerest apologies for the frustration this is no doubt causing and thank you for your understanding at this incredibly difficult time. We wish all our valued customers, partners and suppliers the best of luck in beating this worrying disease and getting through these incredibly challenging times so we may once again be able to enjoy the sport we all love so much.
All of us at Powder White
We are of course continuing to monitor the situation regarding the outbreak of COVID-19 across all our destinations, so please check this page regularly for updates.
As we are currently experiencing a very high number of calls, we thank you for your patience as we simply are unable to deal with the huge response. We are currently prioritising our resources and directing them first to our staff and customers in resort in order to ensure their safety and welfare, and then to people whose future holidays will be affected. We absolutely appreciate your frustration & worry, however we ask you to please do not call our offices for the moment. Emails will be responded to in order of urgency and time/departure date relevance. Where your booking was made through a Travel Agent, please contact them.
The situation across our resorts has been changing rapidly as authorities take precautionary measures against the spread of coronavirus. The National Union for Ski Regions and the National Association for Mayors in Regions with Ski Resorts announced that all ski resorts in France are closed with immediate effect until further notice. Whilst we understand that supermarkets, pharmacies & tabacs are open, movement outside must be kept to a minimum and hygiene precautions must be taken. We are acting as fast as we can with the most up to date information available and are advising all our guests that they must leave resort as soon as is practically possible. Most accommodation providers will be closing in the next 48 hours if not sooner. If in doubt please contact your Resort Manager (Chalet Programme in Meribel, Courchevel & Val d'Isere) or your Residence/Hotel Reception.
(14/03/20 @ 21:30 Post: On the evening of Saturday 14th March, the French authorities have announced their decision to close all non-essential public places including the ski lifts with immediate effect. This is despite assurances both yesterday and today from the resorts and tourism bodies themselves that they would remain open. All our resorts will remain closed for the remainder of the 2019/20 ski season therefore we anticipate that all future holidays will be cancelled. We are however awaiting confirmation of this, information for which will be posted here as soon as we are made aware.
As yet, FCO advice has not changed however this is an unprecedented and rapidly evolving situation which we understand will be causing concern and worry. We hope that everyone will understand that the safety and welfare of our guests and are staff who are currently in our resorts is our highest priority. We are continuing to work closely with authorities and whilst information is currently proving difficult to obtain, we will post any updates on this page as soon as we have them.
We are awaiting details of timescales in which departure from our resorts can be made. We recommend however that everyone currently in resort look into alternative travel arrangements to leave resorts as quickly as possible. Reports of local bus and train services are currently sketchy but again, we will post information here as soon as it is received.
Our Powder White team of staff on the ground is being kept completely up to date so we ask parents and relatives to please remain calm and refrain from confusing our staff unnecessarily. We need to go through the correct processes to ensure everyone's safety and arrange our potential staff departure from resorts).
The resort is now in lockdown and only a small number of remaining holidaymakers are due to leave imminently. No-one is allowed to enter. Our staff are being looked after and we are in close contact with the Authorities about their need to remain in isolation in the resort for at least the next 14 days. Our team on the ground is being kept completely up to date so we ask parents and relatives to please remain calm.
(Post: As at 1900hrs Thursday 12th March: The local Austrian government of Tirol announced that St Anton will be closing on Sunday 15th March 2020, however as the situation is extremely fluid, this closure may be brought forward and we are awaiting updates from the Authorities. Current FCO Advice confirms that the areas of Tirol, Vorarlberg & Salzburg are closed. These resorts will remain closed for the rest of the season).
All Resort Staff: In order to ensure the welfare of our resort teams, they too are being kept up to date with real information rather than listening to fake news which is now appearing on various websites. Please leave us to deal with the local authorities who are best placed to give us the news as it happens. Embassy's appear not to be up to date and they are providing differing advice which again is causing confusion.
If & When the FCO advises against travel to your destination, we will provide updates here and contact you. Thereafter you will need to contact your personal travel insurance company for further advice and in order to recover any loss.
Travellers are advised to read the FCO travel advice for the country they are travelling to. Visit http://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
We are obviously hugely sorry for the frustration this is no doubt causing you and thank you for your understanding at this incredibly difficult time.
There has been a problem with this booking, please call us on +44 (0)20 8877 8888.