Morzine Resort History
Agriculture in Morzine was developed in the 11th century to serve Aulps Abbey, a Cistercian monastery nearby, providing food, clothing and building materials.
From the 18th century, slate quarries were developed and mined which was extremely lucrative for the town, although most have now closed down.
Winter tourism arrived in the 1920’s and the Pleney cable car was installed in 1934 (although this was used by hikers and mountaineers as skiing took place on the gentler slopes) – it was the second cable car to be installed in France.
In the 1960’s the transformation of Avoriaz into a ski resort took place, as well as the construction of both the Nyon and Avoriaz cable cars – which started to create the vast Portes du Soleil ski area.