Zell am See Resort History
Posted by George Biffen
Last updated on January 16th, 2018 at 11:59 am
Zell am See is the administrative capital of the Zell am See District in the Austrian state of Salzburg.
The town is an important tourist destination known as Zell am See-Kaprun and is a transportation hub for the region.
From 1800, the town was occupied by French troops during the Napoleonic Wars.
After the secularisation of the Salzburg Archbishopric, “Zell am See” finally passed to the Austrian Empire by resolution of the Vienna Congress in 1816.
When in 1850 neighbouring Saalfelden became the capital of the Pinzgau district, the town’s mayor successfully strived for relocating the administrative seat to Zell.
The town’s development was decisively promoted by the opening of the Salzburg-Tyrol Railway line (Giselabahn) on 30 July 1875, starting the annual summer tourism season.
Zell am See received city rights on 24 January 24, 1928.
These days it is known for its beautiful scenic mountains and hosting the Ironman 70.3 world championship in 2015.